In April this year, I and 40 fellow Members of the European Parliament. tabled a request for renewed referral of the copyright term extension dossier. The aim is to give the European Parliament a chance to reconsider its decision from April 2009 to extend the copyright term for musical recordings from 50 to 70 years. You can read more about the background here.
So far, I have not received any official response from the European Parliament at all. Unofficially, I have learned that there are people behind the scenes who want to interpret the relevant rule in the Rules of Procedure so that the request is technically inadmissible. But officially, I haven’t heard anything.
I find this odd, and, quite frankly, a bit worrying. If the relevant bodies in the European Parliament do in fact think the request is inadmissible, they should at least give me an official answer, so that I can decide what to do next. It is now the end of August, and more than four months have passed since the request was tabled.
Today I heard another rumour that adds to my worries, namely that the Council of Ministers is to make a decision on the copyright term extension next week. It was a blocking minority in the Council that prevented the term extension from becoming a reality in 2009, but since then Denmark has switched sides, and now supports the extension.
This means that the blocking minority is gone, and that the Council would approve the extension if they vote on it next week. But I should stress that it is only a rumour that it will be on next week’s agenda for the Council.
Can they do this, and go ahead and push through the decision even though there is a pending request in the European Parliament to re-open the dossier and let the parliament have another look at it?
Answer: I don’t know. The interpretation of the various rules of procedure in the EU are pretty much a mystery even to people who have spent years trying to understand them, and I am certainly not one of those people.
But if a decision is taken in the Council next week, before I have even received an official reply to the request I tabled in April, I would find that very remarkable indeed.
I will post updates on this blog as events unfold.
Andra som skriver om ämnet: Henrik Alexandersson