The Pirate Party will host several new WikiLeaks servers. This was agreed during Julian Assange’s visit to Stockholm last weekend, and the Pirate Party is happy to announce that everything has been finalized.
– The contribution of WikiLeaks is tremendously important to the entire world, says Rick Falkvinge, leader of the Pirate Party. We desire to contribute to any effort that increases transparency and accountability of power in the world.
Last week, the Pirate Party challenged the other Swedish parties to assist WikiLeaks in its democratic effort. The Pirate Party has been the first to step up uo the plate, and keeps calling on others to defend freedom of the press in Sweden. As a result, WikiLeaks have commissioned a number of new servers that will be hosted and taken care of by the Pirate Party.
The Pirate Party will provide bandwidth and hosting to WikiLeaks free of charge as part of its political mission.
– This is one of our signatures, says Falkvinge. We don’t just talk. We act. Using our own resources and time, we help change the world rather than pass the buck, commission reports, and avoid responsibility like other politicians.
Wikileaks have been under constant threat of being sabotaged by corrupt or abusive organisations trying to conceal the truth from the public. The Pirate Party’s offer was welcomed by Wikileaks’ spokesman Julian Assange.
– We welcome the help provided by the Pirate Party, says Julian Assange, spokesperson for WikiLeaks. Our organisations share many values and I am looking forward to future ways we can help each other improve the world.
– We hope that the new Parliament will give serious consideration to further strengthening Sweden’s press protection legislation, says Assange. Western democracies are not always as free as one might think, and freedom of the press needs constant vigilance. In particular, we would welcome Sweden copying Iceland’s Modern Media Initiative, something that the Pirate Party also desires.
– We see more opportunities down the road in cooperating with the Pirate Party, says Assange, and look forward to exploring those options.
For more information, contact:
Rick Falkvinge, party leader for the Swedish Pirate Party, +46-10-3333-401
Anna Troberg, deputy party leader for the Swedish Pirate Party, +46-10-3333-402
Anna Ardin, press secretary for Julian Assange, +46-733-907017
Photo by Rickard Olsson, free for publication CC0. More photos free for publication.